Hey Everyone
Things are going well here in Moldova! I feel like I'm getting my bearings and getting comfortable with my surroundings. Hey, the rooster that crows directly outside my window every morning and the old man next door who yells at his wife because they can't hear each other doesn't even bother me any more ;) The first morning I was here, I woke with my heart pounding because it sounded like one of the girls screamed, but it was that nasty old rooster trying to perfect his offensive shrieking!
I even venture out on my own quite regularly. I went to Tucanos(an amazing place that Anna introduced me to when I was here in September). I have only been slightly disoriented once or twice when I have been out on my own. :)
I even venture out on my own quite regularly. I went to Tucanos(an amazing place that Anna introduced me to when I was here in September). I have only been slightly disoriented once or twice when I have been out on my own. :)
So speaking of getting disoriented...
One Friday afternoon a few weeks ago, I wanted to go to town and do a little shopping and sit at Tucanos while Kristy was at Romanian lessons. Well, we had just gotten two new girls at the house the night before, and that would leave them at the house by themselves if I went out, so we decided they would go to town with me, and they could help me get home if I got lost. Well, in theory, it was a good idea, however, they didn't speak English at all, and I only know a handful of Romanian phrases... certainly not enough to have any sort of a conversation.
We headed into town. One of the girls decided to wear high heels (which wasn't the best idea because we generally walk long distances when we head to town.) We rode the trolley bus into town and Kristy left us at a shopping center so I could look around and grab a few things I needed.
Well, we had fun trying to teach each other a couple new words in English and Romanian, but the girl with the high heels only lasted about 20 minutes. So we headed out to get some ice cream and then they were ready to head home already. Well, I was kind of disappointed because I had been looking forward to getting out for the afternoon, but for the sake of the girls we headed towards the bus station.
Well, at this point, I realize the girls have no idea where anything is in this area of town. Now, not to worry, because I knew where we were and how to get home, but I couldn't communicate any of this to the girls. We get to the bus station and stand there waiting for our bus for about 5 minutes. It had been long enough for our bus to arrive so I got the brilliant idea to check the bus sign and make sure we were at the right place...
Yeah, totally wrong busy stop!
Anyway, again, no big deal because I know the other bus stop is around the corner and up about a block. It seems big and confusing, but really the whole area ties together very easily.
Well, at this time, I'm laughing at myself for going to the wrong station, but I totally lost all confidence from the girls. High heels girl was getting upset because her feet hurt and I just made her walk farther than necessary and the other girl was obviously concerned she would never see her home again!
Well, we get to the right station and get on the bus, but it takes about 20-25 minutes to get to the stop by the house. About 10 minutes into it, I could hear them discussing how I couldn't understand Romanian... I do know enough to understand that part... haha Then, although I couldn't understand them, I could tell by the way they were acting, they thought I was completely lost. So they motioned for me to get off the trolley, to which I just smiled and said, "No." Then they motioned with a little more urgency, so again I smiled and said, "No!" and looked away from them.
The longer they sat there the more nervous they got. They were searching out the windows for anything familiar and fidgeting with everything. They started talking again... yeah, I may not understand Romanian, but I understood their conversation... haha
Finally, we get to our stop and hopped out. Well, they got out first and looked the wrong way down the street. I could see the irritation on their faces! They were so sure I had gotten them lost! So I hopped out of the bus and didn't even wait for them, I just started walking towards home and said, "This way!" I will never forget the look of relief and the, "OH!" that they said in unison when they realized I had gotten them safely where we needed to be.
It was so humorous to me and it was a huge confidence boost because I know my way around... at least this area of the city. :)
Now next time I may get hopelessly lost, but for now, I will relish in this new found confidence!
2 comments:
Hey, thanks for the information! I will check into it. :) Yes, I think during my first week here we went to Starkebab. It was delicious... not to rub it in or anything... ;)
Post a Comment