Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What Girl Wouldn't Like a Fashion Show?
 
When you are trying to teach teenage girls, sometimes you have to come up with crazy ideas to keep their interest.  Actually, let me rephrase that... When you are trying to teach teenage girls, EVERY DAY you have to come up with crazy ideas to keep their interest! 
 
 English and music lessons are going well, but some days it is like pulling teeth to get them to be involved.  Last week we were going through a bit of a dry spell, so I pulled out an idea that I remembered from when I was learning how to teach English as a 2nd language.
 
We are working on basic English vocabulary and simple sentences.  This was going to be a good day to learn clothing basics. I decided it was time to have a fashion show, complete with models, photographers, music, and even a runway.  Moldovan girls are very feminine.  They paint their nails nearly every day, they do fancy updos in their hair on a regular basis.  Even going grocery shopping they dress up in their finest.  Needless to say, a fashion show was right up their alley.  They loved it!
 
 
Ruthanna and Kristy were my models.
They did a fantastic job and really acted the part!
The girls were very engaged during the entire lesson.
 
 
 
Even the girls who speak good English wanted to sit in on this lesson!  :)
 
 
 
 
After we finished the new vocabulary portion of the lesson, the girls had to
practice their English by designing the own line of clothing
and putting on their own fashion show.  They were very creative!
 
 

 
 



I think of all the pictures, this is my favorite.
They were so happy!
Gotta love the shoes :)
 


 
Please pray that God will continue to give me creative ideas.
Yesterday, I wasn't feeling well, and at the last minute I had to come up with a simple little game.  It turned out to be a hit-They loved it and kept talking about it.  Sometimes my well-thought-out plans fail, and the simple things work the best.  Please pray that God will give
 me wisdom to know what the girls need most each day :)
 

No comments: